Tuesday, May 5, 2009

New visitor

We have a new visitor to our bird feeder lately. As I've said before I'm not a "bird person", so I cannot readily identify this bird. My first thought was that it looked like a woodpecker. But instead of just guess I decided to go online.

I ended up at the site Whatbird.com to try and help me with identification. After entering the different criteria, such as bill type, color, etc., I think I narrowed it down.

It looks to me like a ladder-backed woodpecker, or possibly even a gila woodpecker.

The most interesting thing about this bird was what I caught it doing in the image below. He seems to be clearing out the smaller seeds in order to get to the bigger ones. I'm sure the smaller birds would find those smaller ones down in the grass. Quite unique behavior.

2 comments:

U+Me=Us said...

We've seen wood peckers that look strikingly similar to this guy around our way. Though the ours have more of a mohawk on their head. We've been thinking of a way to attach a bird feeder to our back patio, we get so many visitors already.

Anonymous said...

This is Red Bellied Woodpecker
"Melanerpes carolinus." This and the Downey Woodpecker are probably the most common in the Trenton area.