Saturday, August 2, 2008

Summer Doldrums

Yep, it's here. The dreaded summer doldrums, and I'm specifically speaking about the photographic doldrums. For various reasons I have gotten out to shoot very little this summer. One big one is that the morning "magic hour" of beautiful light is way too early for me. Sunrise before 6:00 ... yuk. During the summer my family, being free from school and work, like to stay up late nightly, so I don't get a chance to get to sleep early enough to allow me to wake up easily to catch that nice morning light.

We did have a family vacation in California, but I did not allot any time just for me to go out and shoot. We had only one rental car so it just didn't work out that I would go off by myself for any length of time.

To add to that, July and August in the Philly area is pretty devoid of color. Many of the wildflowers that would normally attract butterflies and moths have died or wilted due to the heat and lack of rain. So for me that leads to a little lack of inspiration.

This past week I was fortunate to catch a pair of white egrets feeding in the back area of the Churchville Reservoir. There was a bright morning sun, which added a little too much contrast, but I did manage to create a few images that were interesting. I have been waiting for the egrets to show themselves. They only rarely make a clear appearance, and I was surprised to see two of them together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear you on this Matt. I'm a spring and fall guy myself (winter too if it snows). Summer is a difficult time for me visually. Although, if I can get out early enough in the morning, I can get pretty absorbed still. It's all about spending as much time on location as possible.