Sunday, August 19, 2012

Macro + Flowers

Every once in a while I get the yearning to pull out my macro lens and head to some local spots that are teeming with flowers.  On this day it had rained the night before into the morning, so I wanted to see if I could make use of the raindrops in some compelling flower photos.

After all was said and done the shots that I liked the most did not involve raindrops.  The unique state of the flowers and plants in the late-summer season are what made the more compelling compositions.

The first shot below show a flower shot from the side, in a typically soft macro-lens style.  But the carpels (I think that's what they're called) are loosening from the flower and pointing in various directions, creating a little bit of contrast to the smooth petals and background.



In the next series of shots I was shooting the large hibiscus flowers, and after getting some somewhat interesting shots of the stamens I was attracted to the buds.  These buds had all sorts of interesting lines and curves.  This series of three shots shows what drew me to these buds.


We are on the downward curve of summer heading for fall, so I'm going to try to maximize the summer shooting season as long as I can.

See more at Photography by Matt Schrier

No comments: